.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gettin' hitched in 2006!

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The new addiction

Wedding planning seems to come with new and strange addictions.

First, it was paper. Even now that our invitations are done and sent, I still find myself drawn to advertisements for cool paper, fonts, and invites. I must have been a graphic designer in another life.

But now I have a new, more shameful addiction -- checking our registries. Who would have guessed?! After all the stress of creating them you'd think I'd want to avoid the darn things. But recently I've become addicted to checking them... yes, sometimes multiple times a day *gulp*... telling myself, "I'll just have another peek."

It started off harmlessly enough, with checks to make sure that our registries were up-to-date and accurate, then one day an item was missing... "Where did it go?" was my first thought until I noticed a little "completed" note beside it at the bottom. I had a jolt of excitement and felt a bit like a kid at Christmas, realizing I'd stumbled across a stash of presents I wasn't supposed to know about... and then feeling torn between looking further and covering my eyes so I wouldn't ruin the surprise.

The urge to look won out and now I fear I'm fully addicted. So I made a deal with myself -- I won't check the registries for the next 3 days. Daydreams of that 5-piece flatware setting should get me through (when did I turn into such a nerd?!), but then I'll probably need another fix and I'll likely justify it by saying, "I'm just making sure it's up-to-date" -- yeah right!

I'm starting to think that registries are the crack-cocaine of the wedding world... the high of choice for the wedding addled, less than 2 months to go, stressed out, bride-to-be. Oh well, at least it's not really bad for you ;-)

4 Comments:

  • My god! Friends of ours just sent us a card that they got married last saturday! Yep. Just up and went and got married at Wings of Paradise without telling barely anyone! Isn't that nuts?!

    By Blogger Quirky Cori, at 7:05 p.m.  

  • ahhh, I didnt know you could check that, you shouldnt be able to do that, thats like having a credit card with no limit, and no interest rate.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 a.m.  

  • I told you you would like the registry.

    Sonja

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:29 p.m.  

  • Lol! I've been pretty good since making this post... now I only check every few days ;-)

    Oh... but I got a call from Home Outfitters on Monday -- a gift had been purchased and was at the store for us to pick up. So of course I went online to figure out what had been purchased and got CRAZY excited when I saw that someone got us the KitchenAid stand mixer!! HOLY SMOKES!

    Although, I kind of wish I couldn't see what's been purchased... that would make things more fun. However, since I can see, and the registry people tell you to check frequently in the last month to ensure there's enough selection left, I kind of have to keep looking...

    By Blogger Jen, at 11:35 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home