.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gettin' hitched in 2006!

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Bring on the booze

There's a really interesting "open bar" debate happening on one of the wedding forums I frequent, and it has given me a lot to think about.

Jeff and I would like to have an open bar; however, we're not sure we can afford it. And since we're paying for everything ourselves, we don't exactly have a "plan B" should the bar tab exceed our budget...

Common sense says we should likely consider our alternatives:

  • 2-3 drink tickets per guest
  • a toonie or loonie bar
  • a donation bar (aka, pay what you like)
  • a cocktail hour, followed by a cash bar
  • complimentary wine punch (or alternative), plus a cash bar
  • a cash bar
I hadn't realized there were so many alternatives until reading the debate. However, an open bar is still our first preference -- you never know, maybe we'll win the lottery ;-)

2 Comments:

  • Boy howdy do I understand this debate! I've had the same discussion with people a lot lately. Open Bar makes your people happy, but when you worry about people driving home after, that gets a little frightening.

    I think I'm going to do what I've seen quite a few times. A bottle of red and a bottle of white on each table and two drink tickets per person. Anything above and beyond that will be up to the guests. The wine should get them all juicy and the drink tickets should get them tipsy enough. If they want to get stupid after that, go right ahead.

    Isn't that wrong? I'd love to have paid bar but in this day in age, if one of your parents isn't willing to pay, then you have to do what you have to do!

    Good luck with this one!

    By Blogger Quirky Cori, at 8:41 p.m.  

  • I like the couple bottles of wine, plus a couple drink tickets idea, too. Problem is, we're having a late-night standing reception -- no dinner, just hors d'ouevres -- so there won't be tables to put the wine on :S And I doubt our venue will let us hand out a bottle of wine to every few guests that arrive, lol. Although, wouldn't that be a hoot!

    Sounds like drink tickets may be the way to go...

    By Blogger Jen, at 9:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home